Kelly Gannaway
Mission Statement
It is the mission of the Luna County Sheriff's Department to provide the highest quality law enforcement protection to all citizens of Luna County and their property and the promotion through coordination with all other like-minded citizen groups and governmental agencies.

  • To eliminate as much as resources allow, violent crime against persons, property crime, unlawful the influence of alcohol or drugs through the application of effective proactive law enforcement methods.
  • To use available resources to reduce traffic accidents, industrial accidents and accidents in the home, through traffic enforcement, support for code enforcement and community safety education.
  • To provide anti-drug, anti-gang, anti-alcohol abuse, and anti-substance use/abuse training and education for Luna County public school students.
  • To protect our senior citizens with home safety, abuse, and exploitation awareness education.

The Luna County Sheriff's Department only serves documents in Luna County NM. If you have a Process Document that needs to be served in a different County, please contact the appropriate County's Sheriff's Department. 


Luna County Sheriff's Department requires advance payment of $40 for Service of Process. This fee is non-refundable. Make checks payable to  the "Luna County Sheriff's Department." If you have an Order for Waiver of service fees issued by District or Magistrate Court, please enclose it with you Process Paperwork. Also and Process Paperwork mailed should be addressed to the Luna County, Sheriff's Dept., C/O Administrative Assistant LAURA GARCIA.

Sgt. Luis Malina is the Civil Process Division's Manager, and he is on duty:
Monday - Thursday
8 AM - 4

Luna County Sheriff's, 
Dept. Process Division
2462 J St. SE, Deming 
New Mexico 88030
W-Ph. # (575) 546-2655
The Luna County Sheriff's Department Criminal-Investigations Division (CID) handles most felony-level criminal investigations. CID is compromised of one Lieutenant, One Sergeant, and three investigators.

Some examples of crimes handled by the division are:
  • Crimes Against Persons: including homicides, aggravated robberies, sexual assault and kidnappings.
  • Crimes Against Children: including child abuse and tracking registered sex offenders.
  • Gang Related Crimes: including drive-by shootings, apprehension of fugitives and extortion claims.
  • Financial Crimes: including white-collar crimes, public integrity crimes and cyber crimes, fraud and forgery.
  • Death Investigations: including unattended deaths, suicides and cases of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
  • Domestic Violence Crimes
  • Animal -Cruelty Crimes
  • Property Crimes
  • Narcotic Crimes: Dealing, Trafficking, and Smuggling of Controlled Substances.
CID investigators respond to crime scenes and complete preliminary and follow-up investigations, then conduct research to establish common links between crimes, and then they seek to identify and arrest violent offenders. Afterward, they record and track statistical information on criminal activity.
Domestic violence can be defined as a pattern of behavior in any relationship that is used to gain or maintain power and control over an intimate partner.

Abuse is physical, sexual, emotional, economic or psychological actions or threats of actions that influence another person. This includes any behaviors that frighten, intimidate, terrorize, manipulate, hurt, humiliate, blame, injure or wound someone.

For emergencies, Dial 911.
For Domestic Violence Services, see Healing House.


Since the Sheriff's Department cannot give me Legal Advice, how do I get help with my Legal problem?

The Sheriff's Department cannot provide Legal Advice. If you need information regarding the Eviction procedure or other Legal problem, you should contact an Attorney, Local Bar Association, Lawyers referral service, Legal Aid Organization, research the information at the Public Library or you can purchase a reference book from a book store.

Has my Civil paper been served yet?

How soon will my Civil paper be served?

The first attempt for service for most documents takes place within the first 48 hours.

Under what circumstances can I get a Domestic Violence Restraining Order Issued?

Where do I get a Restraining Order?

Commonly issued Restraining Orders prohibit Domestic Violence or Civil harassment. Restraining Orders must be issued by the District Court. Restraining Order forms are available from the District Court located at 855 S. Platinum St., Deming NM 88030.

Once the Court issues the Restraining Order, two copies should be delivered to the Sheriff's Process Division Office. One copy will be submitted to the Domestic Violence Liaison Lt. Joy Mullins for input into her Data Entry System. The Sheriff's Department will also attempt Service of the second copy for you if you so request. Also make a third copy for Central Dispatch and deliver or mail it to them.

How can I Evict a Tenant?

Evictions can only occur after a Landlord has received a Judgment from the Court and a Writ of Restitution has been served or posted on the property. The purpose of a Writ of Restitution is to place with the rightful party Restitution of Real Property. Writs of Restitution usually arise as a result of

a Tenant's non-payment of rent or a Breach of the Rental or Lease Agreement.

After the Writ of Restitution has been brought to the Sheriff's Department with the appropriate fee of $40, your Writ will be executed on the date the Judge entered the Eviction date on it.

If you have any information regarding the occupants of these premises related to their mental instability, history of or significant propensity for violence or hostile confrontation with Law Enforcement, please telephone the Luna County Sheriff’s Dept. Process Division.

On the day of the eviction the Owner/Landlord/Property Manager must change the locks at the residence while the Deputy Sheriff stands by for a reasonable amount of time for this purpose.

The landlord must provide access to the property in order to complete the Eviction process. Due to scheduling constraints, some delay may occur in the deputies arrival and the deputies may not necessarily be able to stand by for extended times.

If the Deputies have not arrived yet please stay away from the residence until the Deputies arrive to avoid a confrontation with it’s occupants. Also call the Luna County Sheriff’s Department to let them know you have an Eviction because Deputies could be tied up with another situation.

If the occupants vacate the property prior to the Eviction date or the Owner/Landlord/Property Manager cancels the Writ of Restitution, please call the Luna County Sheriff’s Department at Ph. # (575) 546-2655.

As an Evicted Tenant can the Sheriff's Department grant me access to a property after Eviction?

The Sheriff's Department cannot grant any access to a property after the Eviction has taken place. After the Eviction the Sheriff's Department releases the property to the Landlord. All arrangements to retrieve property must be made between former Tenant and Owner/Landlord/Property Manager.

Contact Us

Kelly Gannaway

2462 "J" St. SE
Deming, NM 88030

(575) 546-2655

(575) 546-8533

Staff Directory